Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Yoder Heritage Day

AIMG_4275

AIMG_4296

AIMG_4335

AIMG_4405

AIMG_4420

AIMG_4450

AIMG_4465

I spent the day at the Yoder Heritage Festival in Yoder, KS this past Saturday. Yoder is a community with a large population of Amish and on the last Saturday in August everyone in town gets together and participates in traditional area activities, like buggy races, tractor pulls, horseback football and a big old parade. There's also some amazing homemade food (pie and ice cream!) and traditional music and 'cowboy poetry.'
I was intially concerned about getting names of people whose photos I shot, as Amish are traditionally reluctant to have their photos taken and I know that sometimes they decline to give their names (making them sometimes unpublishable in the newspaper as a result) but I either got lucky or was worried for nothing, as everyone I spoke with was very accomodating. A good day all around.

No comments: